Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hope is a Tangible Thing!

Email 1 (Formal enquiry)

Dear Dr,

I hope you’re doing well. If you don’t mind, I have something I’d like to discuss with you.

I’ve been accepted for FRIM’s RAship Scheme and placed under the Zoology unit. My research area involves molecular studies of bats, and one of the project outcomes would be the formation of a barcode database of bat species, particularly from peninsular Malaysia’s Virgin Jungle Reserves (VJRs) where the samples are collected. The scheme will fully sponsor me for MSc at any university in Malaysia, including Sabah and Sawarak. My research project is funded by FRIM and GEF.

I’m currently looking for supervisors and a place to attach to for MSc, and Unimas is my first choice. Among the many Malaysian universities I’ve researched, Unimas has a broad range of expertise in zoology, and I’ve found the environment and academic community to be very positive and conducive to my needs (these insights I’ve gained through encouragements from Dr. Is, Br. Kamarul, and my involvements with e-ruai zoology).

The problem is that my overseer in FRIM seems to have reservations about Unimas. I’m not sure what her concerns are, but she asked me to look into Univ. Malaysia Terengganu (UMT) and UKM instead. I’ve been to these campuses – I’ve visited UMT on several occasions and I’m currently finishing my RAship tenure in UKM. All I can say is that I do not prefer to be attached to either of these institutions at this point.

Dr, please advise on how I should go about finding a supervisor in Unimas for my project (if it’s at all possible, I’d love to work with you!). And if it’s not too much trouble, could I have a copy of your CV? I’d like to bring a strong case before FRIM and justify my reasons for choosing Unimas. My biggest concern is convincing my overseer. If she agrees, then everything else should fall into place.

Do tell me what you think. I’m sorry to be so much trouble. Thank you, and hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest regards,

Sofie


Reply 1

Dear Sofie;

It's been very political.. If they (your supervisors) don't like UNIMAS then just follow their their wish because its more important that you get the MSc.

This is the 2nd known case of FRIM not in favour of UNIMAS.

I could help remotely by reading your proposal & papers. salam


Email 2 (Panic attack)

Hi Dr,

Your message made me sad, because I am honestly really interested in doing my MSc in UNIMAS.

FRIM does not have a problem with me being attached to UNIMAS. It's my supervisor. Initially she agrees that you are an expert in the zoology field, particularly bats. However, she later advised me against you when one of her academic supervisors expressed a less than favorable opinion of you.

Bottomline, molecular research isn't something simple (at least not to me). I need guidance so that I can learn well and contribute something useful. You are well aware of our universities' position in molecular research, and you're also aware of politics regarding UNIMAS. I don't know anything about politics. I'm just a student looking to find the best education. And though that may sound naive, I am the type to fight for what I think is best for me, and right now that is UNIMAS.

Please help me! salam, sofie


Response

20 or so emails came into the author's mailbox the following morning, all from various lecturers and experts in UNIMAS, giving their enthusiastic encouragements as well as thoughts and feedback regarding possible research areas to work on.

The author was moved to tears.


Reply 2

So you see, we care so much about you and waiting for your reply...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

kalau supervisor seberang laut, mcm mana nak monitor?

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

CST,

Kak Sofie lah pergi sana, tak adalah seberang laut lagi. :)

Kak Sofie,

I like this! :D

Shana said...

Ganbatte!

lyana sidek said...

Dear kak sofie, kirei desu..=)

go forward!!! we are always here for you, insyaAllah.ganbarou!
bila sy ckp kirei desu kat akak, akak kena jawab 'atanamo kirei desu yo"... hehe. thanx in advance kak, sbb kasi jawapan tu. hehe.

yati
time kasih sbb jwb soalan haja tu..haha.

shana
ganbarou!

p/s; sbenarnya sy x tau apa yg sy mengarut ngan nihongo tu..

izra said...

Oh K.Opie...Persevere,persevere!!!You deserve the best! Don't forget that we are with you. Go K.Opie!!

p/s: Nurul, apakah kirei desu itu?anatamo tu sy boleh teka la.Oh, dan gabarou jgk. Ganbatte je yg sy tau.hehe

Opie said...

@ CST,

I'm going with an expert who has experience, not time.

If you think about it, those two elements are often mutually exclusive, no? ^^


@ Ati,

I know you like this, that's why I posted it, word for word.

(names had to be kept anonymous though..)


@ Shana

Hai, domo arigatou!


@ Nurul

Haha.. Btw, it's anata sayang, not atana! :D

Hai, anatamo honto ni kirei desu!


@ Mun

Thank you! God knows I will need a lot of support for this.. Go K Opie! :P

kirei means pretty.. ^^

lutfi lukman said...

korang ni, tiap2 hari ke bukak blog~ i can't keep up. huhu.
try ur best, n things will fall into places eventually ;)

p/s: nurul-chan, anata wa hidoi desu~ haha

lyana sidek said...

mun, otagai ganbarou! maksudnya = sama2 la berusaha!