Sunday, June 12, 2005

*Hic* *Hic*

Based on the title, I'm sure all who are reading would now that I'm referring to alcohol. My dad was recounting his experience when he was young. He said that during his time, KFC used to serve beer together with their chicken. It depends on the customer whether they want the beer or not. One day, my dad went with a few of his friends. My dad was about mid-teen at that time. Probably around 13- 15 years old. There was another person following them who was obviously older than them, around 20 years old. He was doing the belanja-ing. He ordered the beer. My dad didn't touch it. He only ate the chicken. But his friends drank and all of 'em ended up drunk. All their dad's were very strict & when they found out, they were in for a lot of trouble.

So, the point of this story is some Muslims do DRINK alcohol. I don't see why they do. Alcohol is clearly prohibited in Islam but yet it is still consumed. Hasn't it already been stated in the Al-Qur'an? I shall not dwell further on this because I assume this is a basic fact that should be known by all Muslim.

Then there's the issue about non-alcoholic beer. Many Muslims staying especially in Western countries are known to drink this saying that there's no alcohol in this beverage. Another reason given was that these countries are cold, and they need alcohol to keep them warm. What?! There's no such thing as sweaters? I got to know of this little piece of info when I was browsing through the net looking for a suitable topic for one of our presentation. I came upon this in some online Islamic forum for Muslims living in the US. Many of the forumers have claimed that they do drink the non-alcoholic beer.

We did quite a thorough research for our presentation, and we came to a final conclusion that it is still haram. Just in case if you were wondering, what's non-alcoholic beer, it is originally a beer being boiled for a certain period of time. Since that alcohol & water has different boiling points, the alcohol evaporates faster than the water. So, according to some people it is halal. We had few lecturers for this course. One agreed that it should be haram. Another didn't quite agree completely.

During one of our field trip to JAKIM, one of us did pose this question to the rep that was present. There was an expert in the field of Islamic shariah and another in terms of science (I think she was a biochemist. Am I right Yati?). They said that it should not be consumed.

So, whether it is alcohol or non-alcoholic beer, it is should still not be taken. Besides that, there are also other reasons for prohibition in terms of medical & ethics. A good example would be the story I mentioned earlier. All of my dad's friends was beaten up by their fathers for taking alcohol, even though my dad insisted that they should not take it. So, what good can come out of this? My dad also said that on various occasion, he has noticed few Malays consuming alcohol. This is indeed a sad sight.

Keep in mind that KFC does NOT serve alcohol now. So, rest assured.

5 comments:

Shana said...

@fauzan: Bagus juga. Tapi, jangan letak semua nnt orang yg tak ambik UNGS lagi, senang la kerja diorg. Kekeke... Letak summary. =D

@maman: O_o You're a Muslim right? You stopped right? Alcohol is haram!! *shakes head in disbelief*

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

arshana: good one, arshana. i had the same discussion with my mom when she was in exam few weeks ago (it's one of her subjects) and she said her lecturer also mentioned that non-alcoholic beer is haram. maybe i should ask my bro for more opinion. but from where i (and i think all of us) see it + all the arguments we had read before - it's clearly haram.

fauzan: yes, why don't you? and as arshana said; summarize it. remember, we all people are too lazy to think.

maman: i think "people are funny." - quoting what my friend (lutfi) said.

Anonymous said...

whisky, beer or wine.. whatever u call it.. it is always haram.. why dont people listen.. anywayz, it is good u have "insaf"ed.. dont repeat the same mistake

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

I choose not to answer further for my knowledge is limited and with my slightly incompetence in english, I do not want my explanation leads to misunderstanding.

But, if you guys want to discuss anything here, please do so with respect and knowledge.

Should there be any writings that are offending, I will delete all comments.

And, I have disabled the use of anonymous id. Be who you are.

Thank you.

Shana said...

@ati: Good move.

@maman: About your question about why dog is prohibited, we are putting up a post especially on this matter. Even though the Qur'an has stated that the dog is prohibited, we have decided to look up for some information to further support the verse.