Saturday, September 10, 2005

An Ethical Issue in Biotech

This is an ethical issue that may happen to any of you, especially us the biotechnologist-to-be! ... So let's be serious... And so the story goes...


It was a beautiful after-raining afternoon. The air smells good. So, I went out to have a walk in my mom's garden. It was just a small garden, but beautiful nevertheless. There were various kinds of plants and flowers in it. My mom has green fingers, even greener than hulk's fingers. Ok, that's a joke. Let's get back to seriousness.


I was doing an observation on an orchid when suddenly I saw something quite rare and unusual on its leaf. There were two pretty flies on that leaf. Wait, They are flies. How could flies be pretty? Pardon me, they were just two ordinary house flies. Guess what they were doing...From my observation, one fly is a male and the other one is a female fly. One fly is on top of the other one. My hypothesis was they were playing some tag game, or maybe, one fly has Klinefelter's Syndrome (a disease) which made it unable to fly, therefore need to be carried by another fly.
Tag game? Klinefelter's syndrome? I knew that something wasn't right. After doing research inside my brain for a few seconds, I finally rejected my hypothesis and came out with new inference. Sad but true, those two houseflies were actually mating! When I realized it, the dilemma came along. What dilemma? Everybody hates flies, especially when you're having lunch or dinner. You hate flies buzzing around your head. They might bring diseases along. Human are natural haters of flies.


If they successfully mated, then population of flies will increase and maybe their following filial generation will be disturbing my family's peaceful life. If I killed them, then it would be a form of cruelty. Killing the flies while they are mating. Doesn't that sounds cruel? Moreover, I did wonder if they were having fun. You don't want other people to disturb you when you're having fun, y' know? So I was really in dilemma. I gave myself a few options:


A) Kill those two shameless mating flies

B) Just disturb them so that they fly away and do that shameless act somewhere else

C) Leave them alone. Ignore them. Let them have their time of their lives.


This happened to me about a year ago, but it's still haunting me. Wonder if I did the right thing. I've posted it on friendster before, but everyone thought I was joking and no one gave a serious answer. What would you do to those flies if u're in my shoes? I'll tell you guys the path I've taken, in the next entry of mine. TQ

1 comment:

Shana said...

Wow, that was a serious ethical problem.

I don't think there's any house fly support group anywhere. Just kill 'em. No ethics invovled.

Or even better. Chase 'em away and kill 'em separately. At least you won't feel guilty of spoiling their fun. Haha.