Monday, October 03, 2005

I'm being nostalgic, so beware.

It's raining this morning, and for some reasons; it made me happy.

What do I like so much about rain?

It reminds me of my childhood, my hometown.

See, I grew up where the rains never stop when it comes to the ends of the year. Years ago, when there is yet few buildings and traffics; my brothers and I have always looking forward to December. It's going to be raining, the place going to be flooded with water. It means holiday, so we can play.

I remember waking up at nights waiting for the water level to increase, measuring again and again how soon it will be before they invade my house.

Once when I was about four or five years old, the flood got into the second level of our house we have to get tables from the school canteen to put our belongings, and while my mom and dad were busy getting things organized, my bro and I would be busy killing worms in our floats.

Then, the year that I remember most was 1995. I was 10, and at the time my father was not home as he works every two weeks outside the country. My bro who was at the time studying at UM had to come home to help my mom manage the house and especially, us. my youngest bro was only three years old back then.

This time, our house already had the third floor. Well, mind you, though, my house was not a bungalow. The upper storey was made up entirely of wood, and the best thing is, it is entirely mine! I remember everytime I fell asleep downstair at night in my parent's room, I always pretended that I was not awake so my father would carry me upstair.

Ok, back to the story. So, since it's flooding. All of us had to sleep upstair in my room. Everytime we need someting to buy, my bro would get on the 'sampan' to get to the main road. Then on the evenings, all of us would head to my aunt's house (you see, back when I was at my hometown, all six to seven houses in a row were all my father's immediate family) to get my uncle's sampan. We'd go around the school (the houses at the areas are located around a primary school; you wonder the name of the school? Sek. Keb. Pusat, Jerteh), poking the worms on the fences, talking to old folks. Tired, we'd get back to our aunt's house four our final course; ubi kayu rebus celup sambal.

Well, that's about it. My family no longer live in that house, it's half torn now. The house where we live now is fully made of hard, cold pieces of rock (so to speak), with neighbours I never get to know. And the only flood of the year was when it's raining, and a four-wheel vehicles passing by pushing brown, dirty water into our porch. My bro though are still very protective of me, would never play with me or share our silly jokes again.

Time has changed, so do we people. I definitely missed that moment. I know it would not come back, but the memory I have, I treasure for as long as I shall live.

6 comments:

izra said...

I guess it is ok to be nostalgic sometimes.those good old-days.......remembering it makes us wanna smile.how I wish I could turn back the time and return to my childhood where I know no worries,no problem....just me and happiness together...too bad its not possible *sigh* well, that's just life, isn't it?

Shana said...

I don't really like the rain. Bad memories.

lutfi lukman said...

i love rain...really love it...but dunno why...guess not everything needs a reason.

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

I do not always love rain.

People often associate things with pictures in their head. So when it comes to rain, I remembered playing with water and sampan when I was kid. That's why it made me happy, I guess.

Well, that's right.

We don't need reasons for everything. We only need them when we feel like we require a justification.

There are times when we wouldn't even care, because not everything can be explained with words.

nurul said...

saya suka hujan. saya suka bau semasa dan selepas hujan. walaupun kawan saya pernah cakap kadang2 bau hujan tu macam bau tahi lembu fresh...ish ish ish. sory sebab cakap kotor sikit.apa yang paling saya suka ialah saya tahu ada sesuatu yang baru bakal berlaku setiap kali hujan teduh....tunggu teduh dulu...

Ann said...

Well...saya suka hujan. hujan mengundang byk memori antaranya yg paling sy segar dlm ingatan ialah hujan turun dgn maha hebat setelah selesai pengebumian arwah ayah sy. sadis amat tp ketika hujan turun sy terdetik dlm hati adakah 'hujan' pun berkongsi kesedihan dgn sy? Walaupun ia adalah memori pahit tp walau di mana pun sy berada,hujan tetap bermakna. hujan adalah 'teman' sy.