Friday, October 14, 2005

The Road Less Traveled

I think, I'm now in a lot of trouble and will be in a lot of trouble for the next 2 weeks. If trouble is not the correct word, let's call it misery. Then, in the midst of 'misery', Ati gave me this book: The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck, M.D. So, what else I could do but read. The first page I read talked about problems and pain. This is the part that amused me:
"Life is difficult.
This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see the truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.
Most do not fully see this truth that life is difficult. Instead they moan or less incessantly, noisily or subtly, about the enormity of their problems, their burdens, and their difficulties as if life were generally easy, as if life should be easy. They voice their belief, noisily or subtly, that their difficulties represent a unique kind of affliction that should not be and that has somehow been visited upon them, or else upon their families, their tribe, their class, their nation, their race or even their species, and not upon others. I know about this moaning because I have done my share.
Life is a series of problems. Do we want to moan about them or solve them?"
You know what I think?I do moan you know, about this and that, about how I cannot do this and that, about how I cannot deal with my own feelings and the list goes on. Oh boy, what an ungrateful person I am! I know that life is difficult, but I guess, I don't quite understand and accept it. That explains why I moan. Occasionally I hope.
My life is beautiful. It is blessed with a loving family, caring friends, peaceful surroundings and lots of blessings that I cannot list here. Being able to handle our life systematically is a form of problem solving. So, if there were people out there who think that their life is not 'problematic' enough, think again.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Haha..i think i knew a person who think his/her life not problematic enough and tend to find new problem. Frankly..life itself is a problem.

izra said...

@ann
I think I know that person too.Ahaks!

Shana said...

I am probably the most loudest moan-er. Haha.

izra said...

@ahmad lutfi
errr,i don't know.perhaps u know somebody who is 'stupid' enuff to look for problem.ahaks!