Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Whisperer of Words, The Shaper of Thought.

I

There’ll be some point in your life when you’d feel suddenly you’re alone. What would you do? Do you breathe in the fear and sit tight where you are, or you just smile and go on walking forward?

The decision is yours, all yours.

II

I've fallen in love with poems, poems made me fall in love.

I was not so fond of poems before, but sometimes a month ago I found this poem;

I never was struck before that hour,
with love so sudden and so sweet,
his face; it bloomed like a sweet flower,
and stole my heart way complete.
My heart melt right away upon reading it, it was a poem by John Clare on first love. I found it in a novel by Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook. Strangely enough, I read the book many times before but I was never really noticed the poem. But that night, the poem just went into my heart, and fit my feeling perfectly.

Then, I was introduced to Walt Whitman and his collection of poems in Leaves of Grass; also by the author Nicholas Sparks. I found his poem so spontaneous, yet it is so deep and meaningful. There were thousands of his poems in Leaves of Grass, and I'll leave with you one of his poem that made me laugh heartily, because it's so true with me.

YOU WHOM I OFTEN AND SILENTLY COME.

O YOU whom I often and silently come
where you are that I may be with you,
As I walk by your side or sit near,
or remain in the same room with you,
Little you know the subtle
electric fire that for your sake
is playing within me.

3 comments:

Ann said...

actually i really dun like 'difficult' poems but recently after watching a walk to remember and read a few literal books , suddenly i'm started get interested.
it sure tough to understand it's true meaning but i manage to understand those poems.
ada masanya perkataan itu lebih bermakna dituliskan daripada dizahirkan.

lutfi lukman said...

poem is something the poet himself knows the meaning. Why? coz it's an art. We are just interpreting it based on our situations.

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

@ann & lutfi

to me, poems are not meant to be understood; poems are made to inspire people. :)