Thursday, November 10, 2005

Of Smallville, Generalization, and Books!

Chloe: Someday, somehow; you need to share your inner with someone
Kent: Why?
Chloe: If not, you will be alone. Nobody will really be with your side.

Some people might be too sensible to agree with Chloe's statement, but I've always think it's true. Maybe for now I'd think that I'm doing just fine alone, or maybe I'd become dependent on every person I pass through. As I grow up however, I've come to realize that sooner or later I'll need and I'll have someone to share my steps with.

I'm particularly very much driven by the statement of Dr. M. Scott Peck;

two person in love are people that are able to live independently of each other but choose to live together.

and;

the only way to ensure yourself being loved is to be a person worthy of love.

II

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and I happened to tell the story of situation where a lecturer once made a note on why it was us girls who pick up and assemble the laptop and lcds to the class when there were a bunch of guys whom tasks was usually assigned to. And, remember one of us answered; Kenapa mesti lelaki?

At the time, yes I was amused. Then this friend of mine added another insight to the situation, which I've come to think about and very much grateful for it to be pointed out. I once wrote in my Friendster profile; people loves to generalize. We tend to associate things generally such as; women are lousy drivers, guys are insensitive.

Why do we generalize? Why do we not see people as individuals? In case of ours, maybe us, doing those laptop and lcds assembly things, did not represent new-age-capable-independent-women-who-think-that-guys-are-hopeless, maybe it's because that's who we are, regardless of gender, we would be doing the same thing out of the same conscience and awareness.

Well, I didn't put this idea here to stir up some debate, it would be endless. It's just one point I think worth to be pondered about.

III

I bought few books; The Sunday Philosophy Club, Artemis Fowl The Eternity Code and mXe!. Hoopefully these books will keep me going for the remaining holidays. Ati the bookworm gene from now on is actively expressed!

Oh, yes. I found this really nice quote;

Blogging: What it reveals are noteworthy, but what it hides is more interesting.

Intriguing, isn't it?

2 comments:

Shana said...

Yati, once you're done with Artemis Fowl, can I have it too? Thanks.

In my opinion, about the LCD + laptop debate, the only reason we do it is because the boys in the class usually come in late and if they do come in early, the just wait until the lecturer comes in before rushing to the office to get it and fumble with for about 1/2 hour before actually starting the lectures, but that was before each LCD was assigned its own laptop. We just do it to save time. It just so happens that it has become a habit. We come early. There's really nothing much to do anyway.

Nurhidayati Abd Aziz said...

Arshana, I know you'll be keeping an eye on that Artemis Fowl. :)

Yes, it became a habit. But a habit came from an awareness, right?