Friday, November 18, 2005

What is Education to You?

As usual, I was reading today's newspaper over a hot cup of coffee, which was quite good considering that I did it myself. *ahem*

Then I came across an article about the MTV VJ Hunt winner. Not that I care of actually, but DiGi was ever so kind to continually send me reminders of this event, it was hard to pass by any article related to this. The winner was a 20-year old fellow. I do not wish to further dwindle on his private life.

Moving on, he said something which obviously caught my attention and hence the reason for this post.

"So far, none of the permanent fixtures on the MTV Asia roster includes a Malaysian, and this is something that Aiman hopes to change, even if it means putting his studies on hold."

"Studies are something that you can go back to, even when you’re 30 or 40. But how many chances do you get to be an MTV VJ?"

Really?

I beg to differ. For me, education is the most important thing in my life. It makes living even more worthwhile. And of course there's the sunnah about it, which makes it even more important. Given the current situation, as compared to the olden days, we now have more comfort in acquiring knowledge. You don't see anyone riding a camel from Egypt all the way to China to seek knowledge. And there's also a vast area of knowledge to study, ranging from medicine to botany, engineering to architecture, etc. So, logically seeking knowledge is a lot more easier physically as compared to last time.

So, why is it when a person can continue pursuing education, that person suddenly decides to quit to pursue something else? In case of our VJ here, he left his education to pursue VJ-ing. One can claim that this is another sort of 'knowledge'. But seriously, can anyone benefit from it? There's a few things which doesn't really qualify as a type of knowledge. Same goes for actors, actresses, singers and the like. For me, this people are just around to entertain us. Nothing more.

Of course the VJ claims that "education can wait". That means, in future if he feels like continuing his studies, he will just pop back in. But from a few people I know of, it is extremely difficult to go back into studies once you're working, post-graduate studies apart. It's just difficult to adjust back into studying mode once you're used to working mode.

How 'bout when you're 30 or 40? Heh. Fate is not in our hands. What if you don't live upto 30 or 40? Wouldn't it be too late to regret?

I have nothing against this VJ. I just want to point out how important education is. You should do it when you have the chance. At the very moment. It isn't something you should put on hold, as you never know what the next day awaits you.

Article relating the VJ can be found here.

No comments: